Outdoor classrooms are changing the learning landscape!
Here and overseas, outdoor classrooms are fast becoming a must for schools that want to provide children with a rich educational experience that’s filled with fun, exciting and diverse learning opportunities beyond the classroom walls.
Inspired by a global movement and the positive impacts outdoor learning has on children’s development and wellbeing, Playground Centre has expanded its range to include outdoor classrooms.
Playground Centre CEO Simon Filleul says the addition of outdoor classrooms is a natural evolution of the company’s product offering.
“Like our playground solutions, our outdoor classroom designs feature high quality, versatile and durable equipment and furniture that have been specifically chosen for their cognitive, physical and social development benefits.”
The vision? To make it fast, easy and affordable for schools, preschools and early childhood centres to incorporate outdoor classrooms into their school grounds, and support educators to integrate outdoor lessons into the curriculum.
Take learning outside and reap the benefits
We know fresh air and a touch of sunshine can help improve children’s concentration and focus. But, the latest research in outdoor classrooms reveals that children who regularly take part in outdoor learning activities show:
- More engagement with learning
- Improved academic performance
- Stronger language and problem-solving skills
- Enhanced teamwork
- Better social skills
- Higher self-esteem
- More resilience
(Source: Muddy hands and dirty faces … to higher grades and happy places: Outdoor learning and play at schools around the world, Cath Prisk and Dr Harry Cusworth, November 2018)
Our outdoor classrooms
Playground Ground Centre’s small, medium and large outdoor classroom concepts have been designed with children aged 3-9 years in mind. Multi-purpose, zoned spaces, they are perfectly suited to both structured and unstructured learning activities across the curriculum – from science and environmental studies to maths, arts, music and PE.
- Each concept puts an emphasis on creating a connection with the natural environment through landscaping which incorporates gardens and shade-giving trees.
- Low-profile seating and/or tables allow students to learn together as a group or participate in individual or small group activities.
- Innovative e-classroom technology has been adapted for the outdoors.
- Musical instruments provide sensory stimulation, gross and fine motor skills development.
- Inclusive, confidence and problem-solving enhancing play and game-based learning equipment is included from sand play, super-sized chess boards to climbing walls and nets.
- All designs are wheelchair accessible and all inclusive.
Our outdoor classrooms can be adapted to suit different spaces, learning needs, curriculums and budgets.
Go to the Outdoor Classrooms section of the Playground Centre website for more information.